For over 100 years, Adrienne & The Misses Bonney has been a passion for those who love beautiful things.
In 1906, Narissa and Clarissa Bonney – daughters of Sydney’s Judge Bonney, opened The Lavender Room on Cremorne Wharf in Sydney where they sold their own exquisitely hand embroidered baby items under the Misses Bonney label. They soon became Australia’s purveyors of the finest handmade babies and children’s wear.
Their success was such that, with the opening of the Harbour Bridge, they set up shop in Rowe Street in the heart of the city. This was a temporary move for the sisters before they took up permanent quarters on the seventh floor of the St. James Building in Elizabeth Street.
In 1940, the St. James Building also became the address of Miss Ruth Edwards. Miss Edwards opened a salon, named after her sister Adrienne, making lingerie and finery for the ladies of the day.
The Misses Bonney and Miss Edwards soon became firm friends. During the war, a shop on the Elizabeth Street frontage became vacant and they joined forces and the name Adrienne & The Misses Bonney was born.
In the late 1960’s the building was demolished and the “partnership” was broken. Adrienne moved to Double Bay and the Misses Bonney to the State Theatre building in Market Street.
The aged proprietors were finding it extremely difficult to maintain the business and were considering closing. At that time in 1970, Ms Terry Berry visited the Misses Bonney to purchase their trademark bell rattle for a friend’s baby. Terry was distressed to learn of the proposed closure and offered to buy The Misses Bonney — it was either that she said, or see part of Sydney’s history disappear forever.
Terry continued the tradition with the manufacture of handmade babies and children’s wear, supplying boutiques in Sydney. In 1978 Terry and her sister Kaylene Hansen purchased Adrienne in Double Bay and put the two businesses back together.
Uncannily history was repeating itself… shops founded by sisters were once again in the hands of sisters.
Terry and Kaylene were driven by determination to see Adrienne & The Misses Bonney reclaim its rightful position on Sydney’s retail scene. Apart from wanting to return the store to its former glory, supplying handmade and embroidered goods of the highest quality, Terry and Kaylene wanted to return to its ethos of service – making people’s dreams come true.
Since that time the business has grown from strength to strength and offers something for everyone, from the traditional children’s wear and christening robes, nursery decorating services to ladies fashion and night wear, and special gifts for all. They also offer an interior design service for your home, office or yacht.
Whilst they have always enjoyed royal patronage and the custom of the wealthy and famous from around the world, Terry and Kaylene point out that everyone can share in the magic of Adrienne & The Misses Bonney – there is something for everyone and every purse.
After an incredible 50 years as custodians, Terry and Kaylene will be retiring on the 30 March 2020 and the retail store in Double Bay will close its doors.